Thursday, May 14, 2009

Facebook or Blogspot

I have a serious problem. Sakthi says I have to keep up with the blogs. I did want to until 2 years back - till I found Facebook. I wanted to blog and express myself - seemed like a cool thing to do. After all, the world was blogging away and who wants to be left out? I spent months trying to figure out this blogging thing - the layout was just not what I wanted, the text was not the right font and all. It was just not that easy. Technology, even low tech stuff like blogging scares me.
So, when Facebook happened, it was like a gentle breeze blowing through your window on a hot summer day in Delhi. It was easy. Simple enough and I got used to it. I have about 270 friends on FB now - I am not in touch with all of them on a regular basis but it does make me feel that I am inviting them into my life with my status updates, stories, photos and notes et al. It is their choice whether to participate or not. Similarly, I am in touch with my friends in a very unobtrusive way. I see pictures of kids, marriages, birthday parties and holiday trips. I read up on what they are upto. Short of meeting in person, I do keep in touch with them - without actually meeting or talking to them.
Now, how does this blogging thing work? After Sakthi put up my posts last weekend on our blog site, he keeps me updated on the number of visitors, from the US, New Zealand, Middle East and India. Wow, people really read all this? What motivates bloggers to write? I write coz I am a writer not because I am a blogger! At least, I like to think so. What motivates bloggers to read others' sites? I have not seen any site other than the fakeiplplayer blog thing and I got bored of it too soon. The guy/gal's site was funny enough but I don't care for cricket all that much to read on a daily basis.
I wouldn't mind reading good blogs on cooking, travel, etymology and technology (I am scared alright, that's why I like to read and learn). Any suggestions? May be, somebody the blogging addiction will take me over just like Facebooking has. May be, it will be more worthwhile than keeping up on how many people think which Lord of the Rings character they resemble or what their name really (REALLY???) means.
Two sides to a coin - except in the hands of Amitabh Bachchan.
:-)

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Sujatha
    It's crazy, I look for you for a long time. I am now in Facebook just because I wanted to find you !
    I didn't find you in Facebook and now I find you in a blog where you speak about Facebook !!!!
    Waouh, Do you remember me ? I am Isabelle the french girl. Your friend. I would like to contact you by mail but I have not your address. Please answer me, go to see my blog and write me.
    You miss me and you are still in my heart.
    With a lot of love
    Isabelle
    http://isabellechasseriault.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete